Netflix is producing a teen drama series inspired from Katie Cappiello’s play, ‘Slut.’ The series titled Grand Army, will showcase real-life experiences of what it’s like to be a New York City teen. It is set to premiere this year, but when exactly is its release date?
Grand Army is an upcoming American television series depicting lives and struggles of five teenagers in Brooklyn, New York. Capiello, who wrote and created the play, produces the series alongside Gone Girl producer Joshua Donen and House of Cards’ Beau Willimon.
When is Grand Army’s release date?
The show premieres on Netflix on October 16, 2020. It will consist of nine 60-minute episodes. The first look of the show dropped early September, just in time for the back-to -school season.
What is the Grand Army all about?
Grand Army is Katie Cappiello’s literal life work. She is a playwright and theater educator. Many years of her experience were spent interacting with her students, where her work drew inspiration from. “It’s years of listening to my students talk, it’s years of going to bar and bat mitzvahs. It’s years of having kids call you because they don’t know how they’re going to afford school, and can you talk through that with them, and try to help them figure out a plan? It’s when they’re struggling with their parents, who can they talk to, and can I recommend a course of action?” Cappiello in a gist said that Grand Army in particular is “all of those years and all those relationships, and fusing them into these five characters.”
Netflix’s newest offering threads the stories of these five students together, tackling issues about romance, friendship, school violence, social justice, and more.
Who is included in the cast of Grand Army?
The series stars Odessa A’zion, Odley Jean, Maliq Johnson, Amalia Yoo, Amir Bageria, the five central characters of the show.
- Odessa A’zion plays Joey Del Marco, a 16-year-old junior who lives in Stuyvesant Town on the Lower East Side. When her family falls apart, her tight-knit group of friends becomes her lifeline.
- Amalia Yoo, who starred in the original play, is Leila Kwan Zimmer. She was adopted from China and her parents are Jewish.
- Maliq Johnson will play Jayson Jackson, a 15-year-old sophomore who has an exceptional gift of playing the saxophone.
- Amir Bageria stars as Siddhartha Pakam, an 18-year-old senior who strives to live up to everyone’s expectations of him. He’s an academic achiever and captain of the swim team, but feels restricted and itches to break free.
- Odley Jean, who studied with Capiello, makes her TV debut with Grand Army. She will play Dominique Pierre, a hardworking 17-year-old junior who has big ambitions for her family and career.
Is there a trailer for the Grand Army?
A teaser trailer is currently available in Netflix’s official YouTube page. Set to a melodramatic saxophone music background, the characters strongly invoke struggles of different sorts, not limited to some kind of explosion they hear while in their school hallways, sending the students into a panicked lockdown.
“I don’t have all the answers, but to be honest, it matters who you talk to,” Jean’s character Dominique says before the teaser ends. “It matters who you’re comfortable with. It matters who hears you, who says, ‘I understand.’ We need someone to hear us.”